A House For An Art Lover

Hello beauties!! I hope your week is faring well so far!! I am doing grand, I feel quite great actually :) The weather has been up and down, but it has failed to dampen my mood any. I've been busing away with my girls and my books. This is another place I went to while I was away for the week, I have yet to finish showing you all the museum still, but I will get to that soon. I wanted to get this shorter post done first. This is a place I had been wanting to go for a long time now & it was really exciting to finally get to. As you know, I am a mega Mackintosh admirer & I enjoy seeing his work in real life. This place was designed by him, I just wish he would have lived to actually have seen it come alive. If you don't know who Charles Rennie Mackintosh is..see my post on him here! I hope you enjoy & have a super duper day!!

Loves and hugs to you all!!
xoxo



The House for an Art Lover is based on a design produced in 1901 by Charles Rennie Mackintosh with his wife, Margaret MacDonald. The building is situated in Bellahouston Park in Glasgow,Scotland. Construction began in 1989 and the house was finally opened to the public in 1996. Mackintosh's original designs were interpreted and realized by John Kane and Graeme Robertson (up to 1990) under Andrew MacMillan, with contributions by many contemporary artists. Original portfolio designs are displayed in each room to allow comparisons.
The house was originally designed for an ideas competition set by the German design magazine Zeitschrift für Innendekoration for a "Haus eines Kunstfreundes" (Art Lover's House). Despite disqualification due to late entry, the portfolio was awarded a prize for "pronounced personal quality, novel and austere form and the uniform configuration of interior and exterior".



{Silly me didn't realize the door had an exit sign on it at the time, but I kept the photo because after looking at it, I realized the rope across the doors combined with the handles, windows and sign above make a face smiling back at us all, haha!}


{Door glass window detail}


{This is the Oval Room - Mr. Mackintosh's favourite feminine symbol was the oval, it occurs in much of his work. The oval shape is carried through the walls to the cabinet and into the details of the fireplace and the light. Unlike the other principle rooms in the house, The Oval room is shown only in plan, without a detailed illustration of the proposed interior.}


{Sitting in the hallway booth, I loved these old fashioned style booths...Mackintosh was a genius, the light shining in on me}


{I would like to have this re-made for my house windows, it's beautiful. When I look at it, I almost see a figure reaching out to hug the rose on the right, it's wonderful}


{The Dining Room}


{Fireplace detail}


{The Music Room}


{The Music Room fireplace}



{Me at my the piano..LOL}


{Top of the piano detail}


Some things I bought from the gift shop..I love Art Nouveau style anything, so these earrings were a must & I love pins, brooches and that kind of thing too, so I bought these too..may go back for these others as well...the lady must have thought I was a tourist (since I'm American & my voice goes more American when I get nervous talking to someone new, lol) because she gave me a mega discount on what I bought, I didn't have to pay tax duties, woooo! Loved that :) 




{All Photos taken by me, KizzyDoll. Ones of me taken by Gorgeous Gavin. Please do not use with my permission, thank you}



54 comments

  1. just dying here!!! ohmygoodnesssss!!! what a beautiful home. art nouveau is so beautiful. the art above 'your piano' struck me immediately that it was a woman's face.
    great little gifties too!
    lovely photos and tour!
    happy wednesday wishes
    xo tracie

    ps. my michigan accent is usually mistaken for canadian. cracks me up every time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These photos are actually so beautiful doll, it's great that you got the privilege to check this place out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, what a beautiful place. I'd love to visit there

    -lAURA xx
    http://wrinkleintimevintage.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Somewhere I have always wanted to visit - now pushed even higher on my list of 'must dos' having seen your gorgeous photos. Lovely post. M x

    ReplyDelete
  5. so so beautiful! I love it! And oh - the piano art is magnificent!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is such a beautiful house!! Love the music room colors and details! You always share amazing pics! Hope you are having a wonderful day!
    -Jyoti
    Style-Delights Blog
    Let's Twitter Together
    NY Style Examiner

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jaw dropping!!!! My favorites are the Oval Room and that piano!

    http://mandycrandell.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  8. wow, that house is cool. I love Art Nouveau style too! I would love to have a whole house that looks like that time frame! Like the house in the movie Casper! hahahaha

    www.sweetsurrenderart.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a fabulous place!!! I'd love to visit. Those windows are just incredible, aren't they? What I would do to have ones like those.

    Gorgeous photos, as usual. You always transport me to where you've been :)

    Hope you're having a great day! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  10. No way, I was there a few days ago!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. love your pictures! You're such a great photographer;)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Very interesting architecture and detailing. I love the piano in the music room.

    ReplyDelete
  13. honeybeeandmeonline.net25 April 2012 at 17:41

    You know we all live thru you and your Scotland!!!!
    I love the fact that he put those window sets in....
    They must be there to warm ones self on those days of sunlight....

    The earrings are amazing.......

    xo
    m

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow, what a stunning example of beautiful architecture! I love the oval room and all the chairs in the house!
    Ahh and I didn't know you are American! Little discounts always help!

    xoxo,
    Chic 'n Cheap Living

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow, the piano is so pretty!!
    xoxo
    M.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Amazing property! The lighting is stunning and love the piano room ;)

    Leslie

    ReplyDelete
  17. woah the piano is sooo awesome!!!!!!! this place is amazing :D

    katslovefashion.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. woah the piano is sooo awesome!!!!!!! this place is amazing :D

    katslovefashion.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  19. I've realized that I am actually getting educated when I read your posts full of art and history. I love being introduced to all the different places, buildings, art, etc, that you visit. This was another incredible bit of knowledge! Thank you! xo

    ReplyDelete
  20. I want a house like that! I love the piano...the details are just so intricate and divine! thanks for sharing. :)

    Jenn
    The Pink Lemonade Girl

    ReplyDelete
  21. Wow that is some artisitc and interesting house. Love the inspiration!
    xo
    Sharon

    ReplyDelete
  22. love the minimal clean lines of the house decor!!

    http://sushmita-smile.blogspot.in/

    ReplyDelete
  23. Holy Lord!!!!
    I wanna live here, can I?!
    Wonderful Images!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Such a lovely post: these spaces are great!
    Take a look and if you want we can follow each others: Cosa mi metto???
    Win a $60 gift card to spend on The Quiet Riot

    ReplyDelete
  25. I'd happily live in a house like that. Simple and clean yet with multitude of amazing details!

    By the way, love your new background - emerald and teal...

    Have a lovely day, my dear!!!

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  26. what a cool house

    ReplyDelete
  27. it would be so amazing to be able to do this with your house.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Such a beautiful, it has so many interesting details.

    xo erica

    ReplyDelete
  29. Wow! That piano! Absolutely amazing! That's a beautiful house and it would be a great place to visit.

    Thanks so much for your continued comments, I really appreciate it. I'm currently rather withdrawn from the online world and blogging less, so sorry I don't stop by very often... Hope you're well, bisous xo

    ReplyDelete
  30. This is awesome! The stained glass is especially beautiful!!! I'm glad you gotta chance to visit and share it here with all of us because I would have never known of this places existence or be aware of just exactly who Charles Mackintosh is! Thank you! I hope that your week is going well!!!!!! Talk to you soon!
    xo
    Darling Bonnie
    thehouseofdarling.Blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  31. I remember reading about Mackintosh when I studied art history. I like Art Nouveau too, and one thing I really love about this house is the reappearing rose! That music room is amazing! If I lived there I would turn it into a dance studio tho... :) xxx

    ReplyDelete
  32. wow these images are really captivating and beautiful <3

    love from the NaNa girls xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  33. Love the eclectic mix of furnishings and decor! That piano suits you! Have a lovely weekend:D

    ReplyDelete
  34. Wow loving the house
    http://shana-style.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  35. Oh my ... I was enchanted and entranced by this. I have to get to this house someday soon! Love all the beautiful photos you took--it looks so magical!

    xo Mary Jo

    ReplyDelete
  36. That house is AMAZING!! What a cool place to visit. :) It truly is a work of art, from the inside out.

    And I love your earrings from there.

    I hope you have a great weekend! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  37. What a beautiful place !
    Please check out my blog and tell me what you think : http://selenite.weebly.com

    ReplyDelete
  38. WOW, so impresive these pictures - what an art house! Happy weekend dear Kizzy!

    ReplyDelete
  39. Thats such a wonderful house! I loved the details :)

    ReplyDelete
  40. Nice to see a place like that. I guess I felt like I have been there already! thanks oxox

    ReplyDelete
  41. im really amazed of this hse,something that i would say the design is beyond creativity,this is by far the most creative hse ive seen.its very very original.i mean if i ever see other houses like this i know where it is originated from,i hope someday could visit u and maybe u can be my tourist guide :)

    ReplyDelete
  42. thats an awesome house, i wish i lived there ! thanks for sharing the photos ^^

    love from the NANA girls xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  43. i do enjoyed to see such exotic places in the world.at least when u post and shared something like this,it does benefit to those who seek for such great places to visit

    ReplyDelete
  44. That was amazing to see! Thank you for the tour!!!
    Enjoy your weekend my dear,
    Violet

    ReplyDelete
  45. Looks like it's from another planet *.* looove it!

    ReplyDelete
  46. Your photos are wonderful and you look so elegant!

    Have a good weekend!

    xx Lady Preppy
    Have a wonderful weekend

    ReplyDelete
  47. These pictures are gorgeous - I'm having interior design lust right now!
    I think that Tim Walker has photographed that house before - and that it's been in many ad campaigns. It's so beautiful, inside and out! Thank you for sharing these lovely pictures, darling! Glad to hear you've been doing so well. xox

    ReplyDelete
  48. whoa! such an enchanting place! lucky you! i wish the weather would make up its mind too :p

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to my dreams, my thoughts & creations, stay a while & forget the world! Leave me a tale, a vision or two!! Thank you for your words, they leave glitter & stardust on my heart...

Keep in Touch:

| Facebook | Twitter | Bloglovin | Tumblr |




Professional Blog Designs by pipdig