| 9 Tips for living with less plastic |


You cannot get through a single day without having an impact on the world around you. What you do makes a difference, and you have to decide what kind of difference you want to make. Jane Goodall.


Our wasteful ways are having a huge impact on the Earth right now & we really need to do all that we can to help. Plastic is a great contributor to the negative impact on the Earth, it is ruining our oceans, wildlife and so on. What once was clean is being over-run with plastic waste. It's something that at this point, everyone needs to think on and make changes to reduce their plastic use. We've already seen some of the effects it's having on the planet. So, I wanted to share some simple yet effective ways to live with less plastic. It's crazy once you start, how much plastic you become more aware of in your life. So, I hope these can help, I'll probably share more here and there throughout the year. Have a fantastic start to the week dolls!!

Loves & Loves
xoxox

p.s. picture above taken by me. 

Tips for living with less plastic

1. Bring your own shopping bags - this is a huge problem, it's crazy how many plastic bags actually end up blowing down the streets instead of being used, it's pointless. They break & hardly ever get reused, so skip them and get yourself some cloth bags, there are tons of great non-plastic options. Even the bags for life that we see here in the UK are pointless, they break, just say no thank you to them.

2. Carry a reusable water bottle - I see plastic water bottles everywhere, not only the amount of money people pay to buy a bottle of water, they could easily buy a reusable bottle and just fill it up. Obviously if you live in an area that doesn't have the best water, then buying water is understandable.

3. Bring your own cup - I'm seeing lots more places, like coffee shops allow people to bring in their own cups to get filled, I think this is a great step and when they go beyond that and offer reusable cups, this is even better. Sometimes it's the quick coffees and eating utensils that add up the most plastic waste. 

4. Pack your lunch in reusable containers - Many of us are use to carrying our lunches in plastic baggies and when these bags add up, that's a lot of plastic being used & wasted because we only tend to use them once and throw them out. Buy a metal lunch box to carry your lunch in, you can now find them anywhere - even on Amazon. They're sturdy and keep food packed tightly and fresh.

5. Say no to disposable cutlery and straws - You only have to see the terrible pictures of tortoise with straws stuck in the noses to understand the devastation plastic straws can do. If you go out somewhere, take your own cutlery with you, keep in a box or pouch. 

6. Skip the plastic produce bags - If you must, bring something to put your produce in when shopping. But, the little produce bags never get used again, it's just an un-needed waste.

7. Store leftovers in jars - instead of buying plastic containers, use glass jars for things. They are incredibly easy to use and save space too. You can use them not only for leftovers but for making jams and so on too. 

8. Buy in bulk and use refillable options - I do this with my own house products. I have a container for my laundry soap and I just buy refills that can be recycled. You could go even better and start making your own house/beauty products too, choosing products that have no packaging even. Many independent brands and small businesses and moving towards these options for their customers. 

There you are, easy ways to start reducing your plastic use. Are you already doing any of them? Do you have other tips...let me know if the comments to share them with everyone!! Have a great day.

With love from The Dainty Dolls House<3

21 comments

  1. Thank you for reminding me this. I have my own metal straw and wood cutlery but I always forget to bring them whenever I go out.

    https://sarahrizaga.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, this is such a good write up. The World is getting more polluted each day. Thank you for reminding us and giving us a better insight on how to do better.www.melodyjacob.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great Post! It is important that we do something.

    lovely Greetings

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Definitely is. Hope you are having a lovely day x

      Delete
  4. These are great tips. I do most of these. I do carry my own bag when I do shopping. The tip for packing lunch is great too, I don't carry my lunch to work, I usually just skip lunch and eat when I get home but when I do carry food I always use reusable plastic containers that I wash afterwards. Plus, I actually like to keep things in glass jars, things like pasta, rice and so on. Glass jars always look neat, even when displayed on visible surface in the kitchen, they can look very cool.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like the glass jar idea, it's so nice and can definitely look decorative in your kitchen x

      Delete
  5. These are such great tips. I love tat they're easy everyday things too rather than huge lifestyle overhauls. It's so easy to make smaller changes to reduce consumption like using a box rather than a bag for lunch x

    Sophie
    www.glowsteady.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  6. I try to use my own cup in the work for not to use the disposable ones.
    Thanks for share all these great tips about the use of less plastic
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love these tips. It's so important we take care of the environment!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Am happy you like them. It definitely is important! x

      Delete
  8. This is so important and we all have to do our part to save this planet. I do most of these but I should really start carrying my own cup as well. Thanks Kizzy!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yesss. . .we need to do better. I'm a glass user and dislike the plastic containers that retain so much smell. Thanks for this post Sis!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi, your picture of the water and mountains is gorgeously done. I really love thrift shopping and I hate disposable bags. I really like the reusable shopping totes from T.J. maxx/Homegoods and Ikea. They are super big and perfect for grocery shopping. Less trips to the car=perfection. I recently just saw these great metal straws. They are collapsible and hook to your keychain. So, you never leave the house without them. I thought it was a super cool idea.

    Thanks for the amazing blog post, thexglitterbox
    @thexglitterbox
    http://thexglitterbox.com/

    ReplyDelete
  11. Totally agree that it's better to avoid plastic bags as much as possible (and it's possible almost all the time) and same about disposable cutlery, cups and food containers. They're made to be used just for few minutes but stay in our environment forever.
    I think that many people would use glass bottles if they realised how much money they spend in mineral water. It's amazing!
    besos

    ReplyDelete
  12. These are all wonderful tips, Kizzy. I love taking my own bags to the store, especially ALDI.
    http://chicfromhair2toe.com/

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to my dreams, my thoughts & creations, stay a while & forget the world! Leave me a tale, a vision or two!! Thank you for your words, they leave glitter & stardust on my heart...

Keep in Touch:

| Facebook | Twitter | Bloglovin | Tumblr |




Professional Blog Designs by pipdig