| What I've been reading lately |




The more that you read, the more things that you will know. The more that you learn, the more places you'll go. Dr. Suess

Hiya dolls!! I hope your week has been bliss, I love reading and been trying to read more books this year, though I've not read as many as I would have liked too. Time has gotten away with me at times but, I should have more time for things once Lily goes to school. This post has been waiting for ages in my drafts and though, I've not read a load of books, I wanted to share the few that I've read any ways. Once is a cheeky lil' type of lifestyle book that made me smile when I found it in a bookshop and the other two are very profound and thought provoking. I'm still determined to read more books by female authors, so hopefully find some for my next batch of reading. But, here are my latest readings....

Maw Broon's Remedies an' Suchlike: My wee book o' bits and pieces by Maw Broon - I'm one of those people that really like 'self help' type books like, 'How to naturally clean your house' ones that give lots of tips and quirkiness. This is one of those such books. It's packed full of a 1000 remedies that Maw Broon has used to successfully treat family ailments over the years. Ones such as insect bites, stains, beauty remedies and so much more. I can never get enough of these types of books, I have a collection of them. I may not follow everything to the letter but, I find them handy in emergencies. 

Milk & Honey by Rupi Kaur - This was #1 on the New York Times bestseller, it's a collection of poetry and prose about survival. About the experiences violence, abuse, loss, love, and femininity. It's divided into sections and each section serves a different purpose, deals with a different pain and heals a different heartache. It's an absolutely stunning book that I could not put down and found myself weaved through each letter and emotion. It shows the bitterness in life but also those sweet moments that you cherish when you're willing to look for them. I feel her work is relate-able for many on different levels, sometimes you may find yourself in her words and other times you just find a piece of the author & that is really beautiful to be open and raw for others to read. I'm definitely going to get more of her work and see how she's grown since this book. 

Black & British: A Forgotten History by David Olusoga - I actually watched the documentary of this book on the BBC before I bought the book. It's incredible really, a lot of the history that is never taught in schools and I feel is important that we all learn no matter what the colour of our skin might be. History of the world is everyone's history and sadly, the history and contributions of people of colour have been watered down or in most cases completely written out. Presented by Historian and Broadcaster David Olusoga, he tells the rich and revealing relationship between the British Isles and the people of Africa and the Caribbean. He uses new Genealogical research, original records and expert testimony to trace back through the centuries to show how British Black history is woven into the cultural and economical histories of the nation. Concluding that it's not just a singular history but one that belongs to us all through our ancestors. This one thought showed, for me, just how important it is that we tell history as a whole and not just cherry pick or show a 'white' perspective of it because we never get a full picture and the consequences of this has continuously shown itself again and again in society. I feel by fully understanding where one comes from and how we're all connected (sadly not under good circumstances with the slave trade & so on) and not try and hide it under the rug because of shame or denial, we could then start to make better and stronger steps towards fixing the problems and putting away the individuals who seek to do harm to others ignorantly because of the colour of their skin. I was really impressed by this book, I really can't recommend it enough, really eye opening!


What books have you been reading?? Let me know, have a wonderful day & weekend to come! 

Loves & Loves
XOXOX

33 comments

  1. I really enjoy Rupi Kaur's poetry and completely devoured Milk & Honey - The Sun and Her Flowers is also wonderful!!

    https://thesongthatsummersings.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's such a stunning book, I'll definitely get her others too!!

      Delete
  2. Really interesting readings, thanks for sharing them. I'd like to watch the BBC documentary too!
    besos

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!! You can find videos of the documentary on Youtube as well. I just found some myself.

      Delete
  3. Lovely ready! I read Rupi Kaur's Milk & Honey before. I enjoyed most of her poems.

    http://sarahrizaga.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can never get enough of those self help books as well. The one by Maw Broon sounds really interesting. I love a good home remedy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are so good to read!! It's a really cute boo with lots of helpful tips!!

      Delete
  5. I love reading all sorts of books because for me it is the best way to learn, I always remember things I read about better. That book about heeling remedies and beauty secrets sounds great. I haven't read Milk and Honey, but it sounds like a fantastic poetry book. I heard great things about Rupi Kaur and I would definitely like to get to know this author. Black and British sounds like an amazing book, I love history and I would like to learn more about the citizens of the British colonies. It is true that in the past history books often only showed one side of things (usually that of the privileged class) and it is always good to learn more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too, it's so much fun and a great way to learn indeed. You should definitely read the poetry book & Black and British, both are really powerful books!! x

      Delete
  6. I've been meaning to pick up a copy of Milk and Honey. From the poems I've read so far; it seems magnificent!!

    aglassofice.com x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely read it, brilliant book. I need to get her other ones! x

      Delete
  7. Black and British sounds so interesting and possibly educational too. It's always good to know more about the side often less documented. I've been so bad at keeping up with my reading in the last month or so. The last I managed to get through was The Gynae Geek x

    Sophie
    www.glowsteady.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a fantastic book, so interesting and enlightening too!! Definitely a must read! x

      Delete
  8. This is so insightful! I would check them out.

    check this post:

    http://www.alyinwanderland.com/2019/08/cheap-homecoming-dress-from-27dress.html

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your list is good. I like Rupi Kaur and been wanting to read Milk and Honey :)


    Please check out my latest post, too? I'd love to hear something from you! :)
    www.cielofernando.com
    FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM

    ReplyDelete
  10. You have been reading some nice book, I would love to check them out. These kind of books are the great way of knowledge. I'm curious about the Milk and Honey and Black and British. Thanks for sharing this post.
    Have a nice day.
    Kisses <3
    http://www.rakhshanda-chamberofbeauty.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely check them out, they're really great books. Both the ones you're curious about are fantastic reads!! Have a great day too <3 kisses

      Delete
  11. I will probably read the last one, I truly never understood how it is possibile to discriminate based upon skin color, why then don't do it based on eye or hair color? Bah. That is the dark side of human beings.....
    Don't Call Me Fashion Blogger
    Facebook
    Bloglovin'

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely read it, it's so good!! I don't get it either, we are all humans and meant to love and learn from each other, not hate. x

      Delete
  12. Great books selection - I want to read Milk and honey

    ReplyDelete
  13. Will be sure to check these out!! Thanks for sharing! :)

    http://nicole-aguinaldo.blogspot.com/2019/08/dolls-kill-giving-me-dressy-joggers-vibe.html

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great Tipps and Inspiration, i also love Books <3

    lovely Greetings

    ReplyDelete
  15. Muy bonito todo ! Has echo la selección perfecta ! buenas noches ! ♡♡♡

    ReplyDelete
  16. These sound like good reads. I need to get back into reading some books. I've been lazy for a long time. Ha!

    https://www.missymayification.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh the Black & British book sounds very interesting as does the documentary. I am going to look it up on Netflix

    Allie of
    www.allienyc.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. You have quite a selection here, Kizzy. These are all interesting titles. Rupi Kaur is an amazing writer.

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to my dreams, my thoughts & creations, stay a while & forget the world! Leave me a tale, a vision or two!! Thank you for your words, they leave glitter & stardust on my heart...

Keep in Touch:

| Facebook | Twitter | Bloglovin | Tumblr |




Professional Blog Designs by pipdig